Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

In which I have a freak out about Grad School.

I'm a planner. I have been and always will be.

I came to Malawi with a definite plan for my future but the longer I'm here the more it's changing and it's been driving me nuts! My plan for life after Malawi was simple and involved getting a teaching position when I returned....and that's about it. Come back to America. Teach math. Be happy. Sounds good, right? I think so too. 

But now that I'm here my eyes are starting to open to a few different paths. Every time I'm able to have internet and electricity for a long amount of time I end up researching different grad programs at outrageously fancy schools to which I'm sure I'll never be accepted. I even think I might have to take the GRE! Boo! I lay awake at night thinking about where I want to live, where I want to go to school, and what I want to study. Of course the things at the top of my list to study are Math Education and possibly Curriculum and Leadership  but I'm also looking at a few programs designed for International Education Development. There are a few grad students coming to my area of Malawi this summer to do some work from Teacher's College at Columbia and I'm very excited to pick their brains about their program and life at TC. Do I really see myself living in Manhattan? Or maybe DC while attending American University? I just don't know! 

And maybe instead of grad school applying for the Math for America fellows program? 

So many options. So many questions. Too much to think about!

Oh well, at least I live in the most beautiful place on the planet. I can hear the waves from the lake at night as I'm going to sleep. I work with great people. Life is good.


PS: If anyone has GRE prep material, can you send it this way?





No comments:

Post a Comment